Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionSadiq Khan: ‘Kensington community is frustrated and angry’

The Grenfell Tower fire was a “preventable accident” caused by “years of neglect” by the local council and successive governments, Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has said.

After attending a service for victims, Mr Khan said the fire was a national disaster requiring a national response.

Kensington and Chelsea Council’s leader said officials had been working “around the clock” since the fire on Wednesday.

The government says all those who lost their homes are to receive £5,500.

Each household will receive at least £500 in cash and £5,000 paid into an account as part of a £5m emergency fund first announced on Friday.

At least 58 people are believed to have died after the fire ripped through the 24-storey block in the early hours of Wednesday, but police fear that number may rise.

Funeral costs

The BBC understands about 70 may have died. Eighteen people remain in hospital, nine in critical care.

Kensington and Chelsea Council leader Nicholas Paget-Brown said he understood residents’ anger and that the authority itself wanted to know why the fire started and spread so quickly.

The government has sent in a team of civil servants to bolster the relief effort. They were spotted in high-visibility jackets in the area on Sunday afternoon.

Details of how the government’s £5m emergency fund will help have been outlined, including:

  • Funding will be made available for people staying in temporary accommodation
  • A discretionary fund is available to help meet funeral costs
  • There will also be funding for legal representation for residents involved in the public inquiry
  • An extra £1.5m will pay for mental health support for the emergency services

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionGrenfell Tower community applauded firefighters as they drove past

Prime Minister Theresa May said: “My government will continue to do absolutely everything possible to help all of those affected through the difficult days, weeks, months and years ahead.”

Meanwhile, the Red Cross says it has been asked by local authorities to increase its role in the response.

The organisation tweeted: “The new joint London team now running the response operation has asked us to provide more support on the ground.”

The charity will coordinate the operation at Westway Sports Centre, where emergency funds are available for residents, and its support line – 0800 4589472 – is now the central point of contact for all people affected.

‘Invisible’

The council has faced widespread criticism for its handling of the disaster, with residents complaining that officials had provided little support or information.

A group who met Mrs May at Downing Street have criticised the borough’s tenant management organisation for being “invisible in the aftermath of the tragedy”.

“We explained to the prime minister the anger of all residents towards the management of the estate over a long period of time, paving the way to this tragedy,” they said.

Mr Khan echoed their point, saying: “People are angry, not simply at the poor response in the days afterwards from the council and the government, but at the years of neglect from the council.

“There’s a feeling that the council and government don’t understand their concerns and don’t care.”

He added: “People in this community are sick to death of platitudes from politicians.”

Mr Paget-Brown said the disaster was too big for one authority to handle alone and it was inaccurate to suggest his council was not present on the ground or working with other authorities.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionCouncil leader Nicholas Paget-Brown says the council has a “very well organised” operation in place.

Writing in the Observer, Mr Khan suggested that high-rise tower blocks dating from the 1960s and 1970s could be torn down in the wake of the fire, which he said may well be the “defining outcome of this tragedy”.

Chancellor Philip Hammond told BBC’s Andrew Marr Show that a criminal investigation would examine whether building regulations had been breached when the block was refurbished.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn told ITV’s Peston on Sunday that the council had seemed to “lack the resources to deal with a crisis of this magnitude”, despite being the country’s “wealthiest borough”.

Image copyright Reuters
Image caption A Father’s Day card is left among bouquets of flowers in North Kensington

Meanwhile, Labour MP David Lammy, whose friend Khadija Saye is among the dead, has called for all documents relating to the refurbishment and management of Grenfell Tower to be protected.

Questions continue to be asked about why the fire spread so quickly, amid suggestions new cladding fitted during a recent overhaul could have been to blame.

The prime minister has come in for a barrage of criticism over her response to the disaster.

She was jeered on a visit to the North Kensington estate on Friday, and protesters marching on Friday and Saturday called for her resignation.

Have you been affected by recent events at Grenfell Tower? Let us know by emailing

You can also contact us in the following ways:

Get news from the BBC in your inbox, each weekday morning

Source: BBC